Saturday, June 28, 2008

SAHM in the making: Episode II

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for another episode of the "SAHM in the making" series (if you missed episode I, you can find it here) and although I didn't title it "SAHM in the making," this post could have been part of the series! But last night's event needed recognition, so without further ado, "SAHM in the making: Episode II"


Matt had taken the kids to rent a movie and I was left home to enjoy the quiet and begin dinner. I had my computer set up on the island so I could refer to my recipe at allrecipes.com and had some music playing. I put the beef in the skillet and began to brown it. As I began to add the spices, this happened.
Notice the garlic powder container next to the beautiful Pampered Chef family-size skillet. Yes, I opened the "spoon" side rather than the "shake" side. But did I spoon? Oh, heavens no. I shook!! And that, my friends, is a whopping pile of garlic powder in my ground beef. Despite the fact that I know the many benefits of garlic, we weren't planning on fighting off the vampires last night, so I began to brainstorm the ways to remove the offending garlic powder. About that time, Matt arrived home with our precious little ones and devised a plan. It looked something like this.

As you thank God that you weren't invited to dinner at our house last night, let me assure you that although Matt's idea was brilliant, it was not very successful and we ended up just using a spoon to scrape the overabundance of garlic powder out.

Now please excuse me while I take steps to save my family from more kitchen disasters and register for cooking classes at the community college!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, leave it to a man to need a tool to handle something a simple spoon could take care of! The only thing is, is that if he hadn't done it you would have missed out on such a good story!

Anonymous said...

Jimmy said he would have chosen the 12 1/2 gallon shop vac instead (although there may not have been much sauce left either)OR added a lot more hamburger. See you tomorrow. Sharon Jackson

Dougherty Family said...

Love it! It is so funny because I could totally relate - the mishap with the garlic not Matt's solution (which was brillant by the way). What a great team you guys make!
Love you,
Amanda

Alicia Moore said...

That is TOO funny! I saw the picture of the garlic and thought immediately, "I would use a vacuum". Then sure enough, I scroll down to see someone else who's brillant!!!! (Ok, it may not have worked, but it was the thought that counts, right?)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness Jen, that is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Your family is too cute! Very inventive, even though it didn't work quite as well as you needed it too.

SAHMmy Says said...

Ha! Clever guy! Though your accidental pile of garlic powder looks about like my purposeful one--we've burned our tastebuds with too many habanero peppers, I think :)
You came in on my Google alerts--glad I found you!