Friday, July 11, 2008

Give me something to believe in...

...that is the cry of so many people--so many women.

I was reading this blog and came upon a post regarding Oprah. Now, I posted very briefly about Oprah not that long ago. You can see that post here. Here's some of what Boothe was sharing in her blog
"I recently received an e-mail regarding a new program that Oprah and her friends are advocating via her XM radio show. The program is called "A Course in Miracles." Apparently, the material for this course was delivered via an "inner voice" to a female professor several decades ago. It was published in the seventies, but only now is gaining a worldwide popularity. Some have claimed it to be the "new age Bible," though I'm not quite sure what that means.

I will first say that I like Oprah. I like her because I believe she is a woman who feels a compulsion to do good, to change others' lives, and to make wise choices. I am not, as I wrote in an e-mail earlier, one to "throw out the sinner with the sin" - or, at least I hope not to be. Therefore, what I write in the next few paragraphs is not an indictment against Oprah or any of her colleagues. I will say, however, that I believe her to be sorely - and, for the moment, treacherously - misguided.

Oprah is a woman, like most of the readers on this blog, who is trying to understand a God who loves her. But she is not walking toward truth. To be sure, she's seeking something. I am not that different from her. But my filter is guarded by the truths of Scripture. What "A Course in Miracles" teaches is derived, not from Scriptural truth, but from what I would wager is the exact opposite. As Paul wrote, we do not "struggle... against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Ephesians 6:!2). Let there be no doubt that the teachings in this "Course in Miracles" are Satanic. I do not mean to dramatize. It is not in my nature to overreact to things of a spiritual matter. But I stand firm in my belief that anything that does not point us to a Christ who is resurrected, and upon whom alone we can depend for salvation, is a work of the enemy."

I was startled when I began to research this New Age stuff she is endorsing. To think of the influence Oprah has with women and the falsehood that is this New Age stuff is just frightening. Here's some of the information I found regarding "A Course in Miracles" and what it teaches:

“There is no sin. . . "
A “slain Christ has no meaning.”
“The journey to the cross should be the last ‘useless journey.”
“Do not make the pathetic error of ‘clinging to the old rugged cross.’”
“The Name of Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol... It is a symbol that is safely used as a replacement for the many names of all the gods to which you pray.”
“God is in everything I see.”
“The recognition of God is the recognition of yourself.”
“The oneness of the Creator and the creation is your wholeness, your sanity and your limitless power.”
“The Atonement is the final lesson he [man] need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation.”

Dear friends, that is some scary stuff. Boothe goes on to say in her blog post,

"It seems to me that, if God has allowed Oprah a position of authority, a voice of influence, it is because we - women - are under attack. Open your eyes! This is not a time for dillydallying. Oprah's realm of influence is primarily female. Perhaps we live in an era where women are a threat like they never were before. Or. perhaps we live in an era where they are easier targets, unsure of their security in Christ. Who could doubt it? But, whether either is true, we know that, if we are under attack, we must plant our feet firmly in the truth. We must choose a veritable call to arms. This isn't about persecution or boycott. Not self-help, not religion, not church, not Bible-beating. It's about Jesus. Let us all cry out, "Give me Jesus!" and be done. It was finished, two thousand years ago. Let us not add or subtract from that one, great, critical Work."

And to that I say, "AMEN"

To learn more about this, check out http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/007/smith-oprah.htm and http://mentodayonline.com/spirituality/oprah_acim.html and http://www2.oprah.com/xm/mwilliamson/mwilliamson_acim.jhtml?promocode=XMHP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I say, "AMEN"!
Let's cling to the truth that has been tested over and over...Jesus is still the truth {He died for all of us...to give us abundant and everlasting life}!!!
Love,
Mama

Unknown said...

Truth is often scary especially when we discover that what we have always believed to be true proves to be false. The phrase, "There is no sin...", is not intended to convey the idea that there is no moral code of conduct but to affirm that because of the Perfection of our Creator we, His
creations, are not subject to eternal damnation as the belief in sin demands, but we are quite capable of error. And errors are correctable - as are we. :)

Dougherty Family said...

Another Amen! here. Let's pray for Oprah - for her eyes to be opened to God's truth - the truth of Jesus. Lord, we lift Oprah up to You. Show her Your truth and use her to further Your Kingdom. Let her hear only Your voice and speak only Your truth, in the mighty name of Jesus, Amen!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing that. It's amazing what an impact she has, it's scary!