Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Easy as pie...blueberry pie to be specific!

My parents have blueberry bushes in their yard, which means unlimited fresh blueberries for us! They were kind enough to give us some blueberries that they had already picked, which was wonderful. That left me with lots of blueberries to bake with. I made blueberry muffins on Monday. But, today I ventured into the unknown and stepped out of my comfort zone. I made a blueberry pie from scratch...crust and all, ya'll! Let me give you a little background on the pie predicament. You see, Matt's mom was a pie professional (she passed away in a car accident when he was 14). Therefore, to say I've been hesitant to make a pie from scratch would be a slight understatement. Well dear readers, the time had come and today was the day. I even got to use my new KitchenAid Artisan Mixer. Yeah!!

Word has it, the pie is quite tasty. Jacob affirmed my pie-making skills with a purple mouth and Matt even said he'd have to make trips to the Farmer's Market to pick up the in-season fruit for future pies! It's a successful SAHM in the making episode! HOORAY!

4 comments:

Dougherty Family said...

You rock!! What a beautiful pie! Tom and I are so impressed. I've made homemade pies, but they didn't look as pretty as yours. You put a lot of love into it, didn't you?
Great job,
Amanda

Mary Burnett said...

Good job! Pies are tough to make. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

wow, congratulations! i cannot bake for the life of me. i think that is the hardest part of being a good cook and few people can do it well! that is a beautiful pie!

Amy said...

Yay Jen! That is awesome. I absolutely love blueberries. So do Andy and Samuel. They are so expensive too. You guys are so blessed to have so many to eat. They are so good for you. Make sure to freeze some. They make the best smoothies! The pie looks awesome. You are becoming a pro in the kitchen :)