Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cake Catastrophe

After last year's R2D2 cake, I was feeling kinda cake-confident. So, one afternoon Jacob and I sat down and searched the internet for a great birthday cake. He and I decided on the football helmet cake and I was stoked to give it a try.

Today, I spent all afternoon in the kitchen working on the helmet cake. I finally finished it and was quite proud of how it turned out. Don't get me wrong...Duff at Ace of Cakes has absolutely nothing to worry about. But, I thought it was pretty good. Here's what it looked like...



Not bad, right??

Well, lots of icing + warm kitchen = sliding Steelers logo, not so pretty cake, and stressed out stepmom. So, for all of you who will be seeing the cake tomorrow at the party, please just scroll up one more time to see what the cake actually looked like (yes, past tense). Etch that picture in your memory! Then, when you see the mess-of-a-cake tomorrow, you can just close your eyes and everything will be fine. Everything will be fine. Everything will be fine. Everything will be...oh, sorry! I was trying to convince myself!!

And, of course the consolation is that chocolate cake with chocolate icing tastes good no matter how it looks!!

8 comments:

Dougherty Family said...

Okay, we are officially impressed! Wooten said it doesn't matter what it looks like, it will be gone in a flash. At least you have a picture for the scrapbook. A+ for effort!!

Dougherty Family said...

Can you imagine what we'll all look like after eating black icing - definitely some interesting photo ops!

Anonymous said...

If you had made a Philadelphia Eagles cake there wouldn't have been a problem. We all know the Steelers crumble under pressure.

Love,
PaPa

Jane said...

found your blog from Gina/runner mom

LOVE your Steelers Cake!!! My Husband grew up in the 'Burgh so we are fans as well. living in SC now, it's hard to get games to watch, but we still sport the colors as often as we can.

Happy Birthday to your little man!

Anonymous said...

As you know, looks can be deceiving...this cake was one of those moments. It was sooo good...cup cakes too...footballs too! Jacob had a great birthday and we loved celebrating with him!
Love,
Mema

Anonymous said...

Great Cake - great team! Papa, how many Superbowl Rings are the Eagles wearing????
Pappy Al

Nicole Collins said...

I can't believe you made that cake! It's great! I could have never gotten it to even look like a helmet. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Well it looks like I'm not only getting beat-up by Matt for being an Eagle's fan but now Pappy Al has jumped on too.

At least the Phillies didn't choke this year.

Love,
PaPa