Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Great Joy

This past week, Jacob and the other students at church worked to assemble and wrap 187 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.  OCC's mission is to demonstrate God's love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.  

Prior to the packing party, we set off to do some shopping for the shoebox stuffers.  Matt and I committed to donate $27 ($20 towards stuffers and $7 for shipping) for this service project, so I reminded Jacob as we were shopping to keep our budget in mind.  Much to my surprise, he let me know that he brought along some extra money from his own wallet, so that he wouldn't be limited. 

We are a giving family--I keep canned goods in the van for local homeless people, we send care packages to our Marines, we donate to various charities, and we give to the local church--yet, I am in awe of the giving spirit of our precious twelve-year old boy!  So many students his age are all about self, and we all fall into that thought pattern once in a while, but our Jacob really has a heart for others, and I couldn't be more proud!

 Getting a little help with the wrapping


 Packing the goodies he chose for a needy little boy!


Experiencing the JOY of giving!

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."  3 John 1:4

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacob, you are so sweet and always ready to help. Love this picture...you are so handsome!
Love,
Mema