Thursday, April 2, 2009

Special Place

John Sinor once said, "It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping." When I saw that quote, I was reminded of the shopping trip to purchase my senior prom dress. Mama wasn't able to take me, so Daddy volunteered. I hesitantly agreed. I didn't think it would be the same without Mama. But, I wanted to get a dress and I wanted it today!!! So, Daddy and I got in the car and headed off to a formal dress store about an hour from home. When we arrived, I was a little nervous about having him there as my advisor. Now, I know that daddies are good at lots of things, but judging the fit and flatter of a senior prom dress isn't usually in the job description. I tried on a few and Daddy said they were "nice" but there was something missing in his voice. Then I tried on a beautiful white, halter gown. When I came out of the dressing room, Daddy's reaction let me know that this was the one.



Almost 10 years later, he went with Mama and me to pick out my wedding gown. And I wasn't nervous at all!


So, today I want to wish my Daddy and formal occasion fashion advisor a very, very Happy 60th Birthday! I love you, Daddy!

4 comments:

Mary Burnett said...

Aww! How sweet. Reminds me of Mel Gibson in "What Women Want" when he goes prom dress shopping with his daughter. Classic scene. Happy Birthday!!!

Daddy said...

Thanks for the memories. I always knew to look for something that made you look "Cute".

Love,
Daddy

Nicole Collins said...

What a wonderful post! Dad's will always have a special place in their little girls hearts!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Bill, Happy Birthday! It's an amazing fact that "Daddy" changes to "Dad" with sons, but to the daughters we are always "Daddy"!
Al (Sloan)