Tuesday, May 12, 2009

She's sneaky

So, one night earlier this week, I was flying solo in parenting land, since Matt was at Jacob's late-night ballgame. I mean, really...who thought it was a good idea to schedule ballgames for 9- and 10-year olds at 8 o'clock on a school nights?!? Don't they know that I Jacob needs to be in bed before 10 o'clock.

Sorry, where was I?

Yes. Flying solo!

Eli and I had been having a blast with the laundry basket--because we all know the tons of toys we own are absolutely no fun when there's a laundry basket around--when I decided it was time for a bedtime snack. So, I headed into the kitchen to grab a slice of the bread I had baked earlier to share with Eli. As I buttered our yummy bread, I couldn't help but notice how heavy-handed Matt must have been when he had some butter bread earlier in the evening. Oh, well!

As we were finishing our bread, I heard the undeniable "tap, tap, tap" of doggy toenails on laminate. Knowing our precious Eva's penchant for table food, I hollered "No, Eva!" and took off to see what she was into. I found her under the dining room table, but didn't see anything suspicious.

As I walk back into the living room, this is what I see...





Now, please know that I was gone approximately 30 seconds. He's a quick, little booger!

So, being the great mother that I am, I try to capture it on camera. This is one of those moments a parent doesn't want to forget. Since our still camera's battery is dead, I grabbed the video camera to shoot some footage. About that time, I hear the "tap, tap, tap" again. I quickly grab Eli off the laundry basket and sneak into the kitchen. As I walk in, I see her. Caught in the act. Paws up on the island in the kitchen, sneaky Eva was finishing off the butter. Oh, yes! The butter I had just used to butter the bread Eli and I had just finished eating. Guess Matt wasn't that heavy handed!

What's that they say about dogs' mouths being cleaner than humans?? Let's just pray it's true!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

They are faster than lightning! So funny!!! Sorry about your luck girl!

http://www.livescience.com/mysteries/080422-llm-dog-mouth.html

Dougherty Family said...

That video might be a $10,000 one. Grab the camera next time you hear the "tap, tap, tap" of Eva's toenails. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer that boy is going to fall!!! Don't you love my advice when I'm about 60 minutes away! He is to fast and also to brave for his size!!!
Love,
Mama

Mary Burnett said...

Callum also loves laundry baskets! He hasn't managed on top of one yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did when he is older. Great pic. These two will have great fun on vacation!