Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Homemaker

I'm a homemaker. I've had this job for over a year now. Through that time, my feelings about my "homemaking" have been a roller coaster ride.

Those early days were tough. And it wasn't just because of that new baby boy who didn't really like it outside the womb for the first three months of his little life.

Without my career outside the home, I struggled. Everything I knew was gone and I felt like the rug was pulled out from under me. I struggled with guilt over not providing financially for our family. I struggled with grief as I mourned stepping away from a career I loved and felt called to. I struggled with hopelessness as it crept in while I tried to figure out how to manage my new and many responsibilities! Then, there was the joy. Unspeakable joy!

Having all those emotions bubbling around in me, drove me to reading lots of books. I read books about being a better wife, being a better parent, keeping house, organization, time management, and being a homemaker. Each book has impacted me and the way I live my life as a homemaker.

When I now reflect on my calling (because that is what it is) as homemaker, I view it with pride. What a privilege it is to be able to take our house and turn it into a home; to create the atmosphere for our home; to do those things that make my husband happy and our children happy and well adjusted; to be the glue that keeps our family together.

I feel so blessed. My stress level has decreased dramatically and I'm more relaxed. There's more peace in our home and our relationships. I've got quality and quantity time with my kids and my husband.

Sure, our budget looks different! Sure, we don't live the lifestyle to which we had become accustomed prior to my staying home. Sure, we're more conscious of what we spend.

But, it's worth it!

And, as we were leaving for school today and I looked around our kitchen at Matt, Jacob, and Eli, I knew exactly why it's worth it!

-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, thanks for your prayers. Jacob got fours (highest score!) on both his reading and math EOGs. We are extremely proud of him and his accomplishments! Great job, Jacob! We love you so much!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got it all together little girl! It is good when you can be sure that what you are doing it the right thing for you and your family. You can only be sure for you so just listen to your heart and do what makes you and Matt happy!

Way to go Jacob!!! I never had a doubt that you would do anything less that what you did! We are so proud of you also!
Love,
Mema and Papa

Amy said...

Wonderful post, Jen. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Anonymous said...

May 29th!!! Happy Birthday Jennifer! Hope you have a blessed day...fun, fun and more fun!
Love you,
Mama

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.Hope you had a great and peaceful day.:)

Love and Cyber Hugs,
Pappy ,Grandma and Gianna.