Monday, January 21, 2008

Birthing Class Business

In order to be prepared parents, Matt and I enrolled in birth classes. We are in the middle of a 5 week session on Preparing for Childbirth, have taken Labor Support (for parents who want to deliver naturally), and Breastfeeding 101. I'll just give you some of the most interesting things we've learned and some of the more amusing moments in class!

**There are two other couples (both super nice) who live within 7 miles of us. Which is awesome considering the hospital is more than 20 miles away from us!
**We've decided that Lauren's husband, Bryan, and Matt cannot sit beside each other during any classes. The 6th graders that still live in them come out! Who knew that birth could be so funny!
**Quiet meditation and imagery are not for me. For some reason, it makes me giggle! I guess there's a sixth grader in me, too!
**Labor Support class was AWESOME! I never knew how important my pelvis was until now. Who knew I was actually being blessed those many years ago when I was told I had baby birthing hips. Women's bodies are truly amazing! Childbirth is truly a miracle!
**Natural childbirth is a normal, healthy process. All parties involved instinctually know their part! Amazing again!
**Matt was NOT the only guy in our breastfeeding class, which meant he was not allowed escape to the flat screen TV in the waiting room.
**Talking about my fears (regarding birth, delivery, and bringing baby home) with Matt during a Labor Support exercise makes me cry.
**Watching a video of a woman giving birth makes me cry. Yes, even though she was a complete stranger and the video was from 1973.
**Seeing newborns in the nursery makes me cry...or at the very least get teary-eyed!
**I like the Birth Center at Rex and feel very comfortable about giving birth there. They even have showers with removable heads!
**Knowledge really is power!!
**Matt likes Chick-fil-A's chicken salad sandwiches (snack at birth class last week)!
**After driving to Rex at least once a week for five weeks, I feel fairly comfortable that Matt will not get lost on the way to the hospital! :)
**After driving to Rex at least once a week for five weeks, I pray that I do not need to head to the hospital during a rush hour time frame.
**After driving to Rex at least once a week for five weeks, we are out of gas money...just kidding :)

Well, that's all the rambling thoughts I have for now. I'll let you all meditate on this for a few days, then I'll post again. Love to you all!

P.S. Don't forget to check in on Tricia and Baby Gwyneth. They still need your prayers!!

4 comments:

CFHusband said...

Thank you!

Mary Burnett said...

This is too cute. I cannot wait until Iain and I get to go through child birth class as well! Stay brave- your little one will be worth when he gets here!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
Thank you for your blog. It is so nice to be able to go through each step of your pregnancy. Even though we see you most weekends, it gives us a glimpse into your week and your preparations for Eli's debut. Basically, I'm nosey and like to be in the know, LOL! I know I'm not the only one (Cousin J).
Love you guys,
Amanda (:0)

Anonymous said...

This will be the most memorable moment in your life(and Matt). Take each minute and just deal with that one minute, then you can press on. It is just like in life when things get overwhelming and we want to give up. We don't because we understand that we have a job to do, a mission if you will. Your job is coming up soon. It will be worth every pain and all the discomfort you endure. My prayer for you is that you will deliver just as the Lord has already planned out for you. He has everything done for your special and precious delivery. He is in charge of all things, so just relax and take a nap. He will have you in the palm of His hand! He is the comforter and He brings us comfort and peace just at the time we most need it. Reflect on these things and bring little Eli into this world so we can spoil him!!! Remember Jennifer if I can do it, you surely will breeze right through this delivery. I have all faith in your endurance!!!
I love you, Matt and Jacob.
Oh and Eli.
Mama