Monday, March 23, 2009

Dear consistently warm weather...

...please get here soon!

Following 8 years of working with children with disabilities and communication delays, I've become a huge proponent of using total communication (pairing speech with sign language) to develop language. So, I've been teaching Eli some basic signs. He's a bit of a strong-willed child and I was also hoping that providing him a way to express his wants and need might limit some of the screaming and whining. Lord knows, we need to limit the screaming and whining!

I started with the basic "all done" sign and have added a few signs each month. Recently, I taught Eli the sign for "outside." Who knew the obsession that would ultimately ensue? I can't get away from the "outside" sign. 6:30am - Me: "Good morning, little one" Eli: "Siii" (while signing "outside"). 10:45 - Me: "Eli, want to play with blocks?" Eli: "Siii" (while signing "outside"). 11:30 - Me: "Time for lunch. What should we eat today?" Eli: "Siii" (while signing "outside"). I think you get the picture. It's pretty much that. ALL. DAY. LONG.

It's a good thing I like being outside.

So, if you're ever in the neighborhood and you can't find us, just look around "siii." That's where we'll be.

2 comments:

Dougherty Family said...

The boy knows what he likes. He is so smart! Can't wait to see you guys!!

Amy said...

So cute. I remember when Samuel was obsessed with that word. I have had so much success with signing with them. It has helped a lot with their melt downs! And you're so right, we need to limit the screaming and whining as much as possible :)