Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cookie Exchange Time

Here we are, ready for our online cookie exchange!

Early this season, I mentioned to Matt that I'd like to host a cookie exchange. You know, just gather some of my girlfriends and family around for some chit-chat and to share some recipes. Then life happened! Nothing big, just the daily cooking, cleaning, diaper changing, playing, laundry, rocking, diaper changing, singing, baking, errand running, Christmas shopping, diaper changing, bottle feeding, homework helping, and did I mention diaper changing!! Well, with all that life happening, the cookie exchange fell through the cracks.

I was so glad when my sister-in-law reminded me of last year's recipe swap. It was great to get some new ideas to satisfy my baking urges. I can't wait to try Matt's great-grandmother Britt's orange cookies this year. You can find that recipe in the comments section of last year's recipe swap.

Now, on to this year...feel free to either leave your recipe in the comments section, or if you want, you can post your cookie exchange ideas on your own blog and just leave the link in the comments section. I'm calling it a cookie exchange, but feel free to leave any baked good recipe you love around the holiday season (brownies, bars, mixes, drops, etc)! Happy Baking!!

WHITE CHOCOLATE PARTY MIX~
1 (10 ounce) package small pretzels
5 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
5 cups Corn Chex
2 cups salted peanuts
1 (1 lb) bag M&Ms plain chocolate candy
2 (12 ounce) packages vanilla chips
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a very large bowl, combine the pretzels, Cheerios, Chex, peanuts and M&Ms. Set aside. In the microwave, heat vanilla chips and vegetable oil on a medium-high power for approximately 2 minutes, stirring once. Pour melted chips over cereal mixture and mix well. Spread on wax paper. Allow to cool completely, then break into bite-sized pieces. Store in airtight container.

MONSTER COOKIES~
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
3/4 cup raisins
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats (I use my baking stones). In a very large mixing bowl (I use my KitchenAid mixer as the mixture becomes quite difficult to manage), combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, raisins,baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags

ENJOY!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can't HANDLE the peanut butter cookies!
(Just think "semi-homemade," but melt-in-your-mouth delicious!)

Ingredients:
Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie package mix
1 Tablespoon Water
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Egg
1/2 Cup of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
1 10 oz bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Chips (approximately 1 and 2/3 cups)
About half of a 12 oz bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures (6 regular sized Reese's Peanut Butter Cups would probably do just fine)

Heat oven to 375 degrees and follow the package directions for mixing together the peanut butter cookie dough while adding in the extra peanut butter and bag of peanut butter chips. Stir until dough forms. Shape dough into about 36 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with a fork (like the traditional criss-cross pattern or just use your hand). Unwrap and roughly chop half a bag of miniature peanut butter cups (or 6 regular sized). Sprinkle a few pieces of peanut butter cup on top of your cookies then bake according to the cookie mix package directions. You should end up with 3 dozen, sinfully peanut buttery cookies. I tested this out on a crowd of people and no one guessed they came from a mix!
Enjoy!
Sammie

Amy said...

I am definitely going to do this, but I ran out of time today because we're having overnight company this weekend. I will DEFINITELY do it tomorrow! Great idea.

Dougherty Family said...

A note: Jennifer's Monster Cookies are WONDERFUL! She sent some home with my daughter and we all LOVED them. We'll definitely be baking some of these. We may even get brave and add some more yummies to the mix.
Here are two of my most requested recipes. I did not make the recipes up - I simply take the time to follow the tried and true yummy recipes.
My kids LOVE gingerbread.

Gingerbread Cookies
*1 stick butter (I use Blue Bonnet)
*1/2 cup sugar
*1/2 cup Grandma's molasses
*2 cups flour
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1/4 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. ginger
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Beat butter with sugar and molasses. Mix in egg. Sift dry ingredients and mix into wet mixture. Chill in freezer 1 hour or in refrigerator 2 hours. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll our portion of dough 1/4' thick on lightly floured board. Chill remaining dough. Cut with cookie cutter, place on greased baking sheets and decorate with raisins, chips, nuts (or our favorite, sprinkles). Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool. Your house will smell oh, so good.

Whenever we have a gathering at church I am asked (and expected) to bring my homemade brownies. I'll be baking a batch tomorrow afternoon for our Christmas party. I fill a platter and also bag up some to give away to several brownie lovers we have at church. One elderly man wraps them individually and freezes them. He takes them out to thaw at room temperature when he needs some chocolate.

Chewy Cocoa Brownies
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
2 Tbsp. water
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Nestle Toll House baking cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan. Combine sugar, butter and water in large bowl (I use my stand mixer). Add eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; add to sugar mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread into baking pan. Bake 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

I top these with frosting and then more chopped nuts (either pecans or walnuts):

Chocolate Lover's Frosting
3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
2/3 cup Nestle Toll House baking cocoa
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
5 to 6 Tbsp. milk, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 Tbsp. milk and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl (I again use my stand mixer) until creamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth.

I use Blue Bonnet (NOT the light) because it works well and is way cheaper than butter. Less than 80 cents a pound.

Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

I was to busy but am going to do this because I really want to get some new cookies ideas and I would love to just share what I have cooked for my family! Thanks for the great idea Jen!
Love,
Mama

Mary Burnett said...

I am late with my recipe-- so sorry. Will post later today... but the question pressing in my mind is why are they called Monster Cookies? I am intrigued and now must make them.

Mary Burnett said...

White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon brandy
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup macadamia nups

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Greese cookie sheets. In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and brandy. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir in the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate chips, cranberries and nuts. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes in the pre-heated oven. For best results, take them out while they are still doughy. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets before transfering to wire racks to cool completely.

Amy said...

Okay, I posted a recipe over on my blog. Here's the link:
http://theeckerts.blogspot.com/2008/12/buckey-balls.html

Enjoy friends!

mj said...

Hi, I just happened upon your site. Wish I had seen this post earlier. I posted 7 of my favorite cookie recipes on my cooking blog. You can check them out here:

http://mom2-2goodboyscooks.blogspot.com/


Have a Very Merry Christmas