Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sale shopping (edited)

Right smack dab in the middle of our "snow event" last week was the well-loved and much anticipated Kids Exchange. I'm a super volunteer (oh, yes ma'am...because I love that early shopping time and I love the shorter lines even more) so I had to be there Wednesday at 10:00.

Just so you know, I don't like to drive at night or in the rain, so snow and ice are a definite no-go! If school is cancelled, so is my desire to drive. But, thanks to the love and superior driving skills of my wonderful (and cute) hubby I arrived safely and on time. I knew that marrying a yankee northerner would come in handy one day!

I slaved away sorting clothes, setting up and arranging pack-n-plays and highchairs, and moving outdoor play equipment for 5 hours.

The long awaited 3:00 arrived and the shopping began. I grabbed a cart (again, courtesy of my super volunteering) and Matt arrived with the stroller and a laundry basket and we were off. Eli had saved his Christmas money for this big day!!

I headed in the direction of the bigger play equipment and snagged this slide for inside for $6 and this swing for $9.

Then I took off for the toys and Matt headed for baby gates and hook-on-the-table highchairs. We found success in both places. The biggest deal of the day came in the form of the Fisher Price Roll-A-Rounds Dinosaur (it's Eli's birthday gift, so don't let the cat out of the bag), which retails on Amazon.com for $200. I KID YOU NOT...$200! We paid...$10! That would be 95% off. Now that's a deal!!

We were able to get both boys' spring/summer/fall wardrobes for a grand total of $100. And, they'll be dressed in Old Navy, Gymboree, Nautica, Children's Place, and the Gap. I know name brands don't matter, especially since I shop at Target and Walmart when I have to pay full price, but these clothes are C-U-T-E!

I love a deal, especially since I'm not working anymore. A bloggy friend once referred me to a great article that changed the way I look at my contributions to the family income. It talks about considering what you save when making purchases as income. So, if I saved $190 on that toy (which I would have never bought for $200 anyway, but hypothetically), that would be an income of $190. With that in mind, this season's sale was a complete success and I'm already thinking about the July sale and what I can "earn"!

Edited: I fixed the link to Kids' Exchange and here's a link to consignment sales nationwide so that you can find one in your area.

3 comments:

Amy said...

So excited for you. Great deals go a long way!

Anonymous said...

We had the best job!!!
Love,
Mema and Papa

Mary Burnett said...

You are amazing! I need to get to one of these sales. Can you send me the link? I couldn't get the one of your blog to connect. Hope all is well!