Thursday, March 13, 2008

Submitting

The 24-hour period of Elijah's birth did not go as I had planned! Despite that fact, in the end (thanks to God) I have a beautiful, healthy baby boy. I was not in control!

We've been home for almost two weeks and have been dealt another unplanned situation. My milk supply is low and is not satisfying my hungry boy. We were given a supplementer in the hospital and have been using it for these two weeks. It's a really neat tool that consists of a small bottle attached to a tube that I affix to my breast. It has been difficult to get Eli to latch-on correctly to not only my breast, but the tool, too! I've also tried herbal supplements to increase my milk supply with some success. We rented a scale to weigh him before feeding and after feeding to see how much milk he gets from me, only to discover that he's getting only one and a half ounces. Eli is a hungry boy and one and a half ounces is just not sufficient. Due to the difficulties and pain associated with the supplementer, we offered Eli a bottle for the first time last night. He ate readily and his daddy was able to enjoy the opportunity to feed him. This was not the feeding situation I had planned. I am not in control!

But, good news...God is in control! The bible says in Jeremiah... "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Even when my plans fall through, God has plans. It's so comforting to know that his ways are higher than my ways and that his thoughts are higher than my thoughts! Things may not be going the way that I had planned, but Eli is doing great. His delivery was safe and we are both healthy. He is not hungry anymore. He is content and no longer cries for hours long stretches. I thank God for guiding Matt and me as we journey through parenthood together! I thank God for being in control and for having plans for our family! I thank God!!

1 comments:

Amy said...

I am so sorry that everything has thrown you for a curve ball. But, I am encouraged to see how well you are handling it all. Our God is so great. He sure is in control. It sounds like everyone is doing well now. I will continue to pray for this adjustment period.