Friday, November 9, 2007

Priorities

I'm going to get real now, so hang on...it could get bumpy.

Recently, I've been dealing with some things in my walk with Jesus. Our family is blessed to attend a great church. Last weekend and this past First Wednesday, the messages really worked on my heart. Our pastors preached on priorities over the weekend. They spoke reminding us that God is meant to be first in our lives. Second priority is our spouses, followed by our children. Then on First Wednesday Pastor Martha gave us some great resources to help us actually place God at the top of our list. Don't we all need those resources to guide us? After hearing these messages I felt that stirring in my heart. You know that stirring...the one that means it's time to listen up and take heed.

Let me admit, I'm a little stubborn. You may not believe it, but God knows it. I say this because this past week, I've also come across some very meaningful blogs addressing priorities and idols. He knew I might need another reminder.

Faithful Chick blogged about idols and their interference in our walk with Christ. She wrote:
"Idolatry is defined by Webster’s dictionary as “immoderate attachment or devotion to something”. Hmmmmm. Do you have an “immoderate attachment or devotion to"…your husband? your children? your home? your car? your cell phone? your pastor? your favorite Bible study author? your favorite recording artist? your clothing/shoes? your computer/email? your blog? Or, the blogs you read?" What about TV shows, too?

Woah, lady...stop reading my mail! I have time to check/read at least 13 different blogs a day, but I have a hard time finding more than 15 minutes a day to spend in quiet time with God. Can you say idol?

Then I found this one. Her blog reminded me that these blogs can not only interfere with my time with God, but can also interfere in my time with my family. What a priority check for me. Doesn't God work in wonderful ways! He used my idol (reading blogs/computer time) to give me knock upside the head that I needed.

Okay, God. I hear you!

Blogs can be great resources. I'm learning so much about being a stay-at-home-mom and managing a household. I'm sharing with other women who know and love God. I'm being creative and writing. I'm creating a journal to share with our family. Now, I'm learning that time management is a new skill I need to work on. I plan to continue to blog and continue to read blogs, BUT I plan to be careful with my time. Time with God comes first. Time with Matt comes second and time with Jacob comes third. Blog/computer time comes after all those priorities have been met! God spoke to me about my priorities and idols--I'm sp glad I stopped to listen. Thank you God for working in my heart and seeking to protect the relationships that mean the most!

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a great post. It sure is easy to get sucked into certain things, tv, books, magazines, THE INTERNET! Thanks for sharing. It sure is a battle with me most of the time and I always can use a gentle reminder to make sure my priorities are staying in check.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful revelation from the Lord! He will always show us our path and purpose if we will but just seek Him and listen. As a mother, I couldn't read anything that makes me more joyful. I will always pray that you receive, from the Lord, the understanding for your life. I pray that also for all of my children, their spouses and my grandchildren. It is so great to learn His ways early in your life. It makes life so much more peaceful and blessed. The Lord's intention is for us to image His nature. He is love!!! You know, that uncontional love!!! That everlasting love!!! That love that is forgiving!!!
If you have Jesus's love everything else will follow.
Just three more months!!!
I love you,
Mama